October 27, 2010

reflection: presence and patience


little tree, originally uploaded by AnnieLaurel.

A couple of months back while attempting tree pose in a yoga class, I worked to steady my trunk so that I could bring my two arms together to meet overhead. It was a day in which I really needed a break from the trials of parenting, the increase in speed of my days, and the burdening weight of recent emotional upheaval. as i steadied myself I felt two key guiding principles rise within: presence and patience. I extended and raised my right branch in honor of presence and my left in honor of patience and when the two met I felt a surge of stability and freedom at the same time.


Amidst the whirl of my days I repeat these words like a mantra and realize that they challenge me at every turn. I wish to claim them both, encourage them to burrow deep within, and yet so often they chuckle to themselves just out of reach. its okay. i will keep reaching. and grounding. and reaching.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. And my oh heavens is that not the cutest picture I have ever seen?! Patience and presence. I need both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so so sweet! I'm doing yoga with some of my students in the After School Program at the school where I teach. Some days we laugh a lot. It's kind of hard to be still and silent all of the time!!! I huff and puff and they bend and pose like pretzels. Love your post!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete