November 30, 2010

reflection: from california to the new york islands

on thanksgiving morning during the macy's parade a float went by that had arlo guthrie and sarah lee guthrie on it singing woody's famous song This Land is Your Land, This Land is My Land. My little one ran across the room and picked up her copy of the children's book that carries the words to that beautiful song and stood in front of the television with it open like this, silent and serious and filled with pride. It was a really beautiful, touching moment to witness. amidst of all of the glitz of the parade and the holidays in general she attached herself to the simplest message out there, "this land was made for you and me".

2 comments:

  1. I think that is my favorite book that Annalie has. Such beautiful illustrations and such a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    I heard this piece on NPR (Studio 360) this fall...it is a pretty amazing history of this song that really gaves me chills. It made me realize the immense intensity of this song & what it meant to Guthrie to give to to our country...and how ignored it was until Dylan revivied respect for Woody Guthrie. There is a powerful commentary by Sharon Jones of the Dap Kings. It took me awhile to find the link but I wanted to share it in light of your beautiful post & Annalie's pride.
    http://www.studio360.org/episodes/2010/10/01/segments/158193

    ReplyDelete